#DnD – Lurene

Scan 2

Advertisements

24 thoughts on “#DnD – Lurene

1. Brian Balke says:

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! I played a chaotic evil elf archer for a while. The DMs hated him because he always beat the boss with his Arrows of Law. The other players hated him because he had a ring of meteor swarms and always ended up with all the treasure. I still can’t figure out why after the third time they kept going on adventures with him.

His conversion to chaotic good was painful. He’s one of the characters I wrote into my book “Ma.”

Liked by 1 person

• PMu says:

Awesome! I’m lucky in that I have a fellow evil doer in the campaign so we generally love meddling and doing accidentally good things for all the wrong reasons. Our DM has become quite good at wrangling us. For a while he hated that Lurene seemed to escape all consequences to her actions, at least until a wild magic surge caused her hair (and all her inventory) to catch on fire. That was a dark day.

Liked by 1 person

• writingbolt says:

Okay, reading all of that…just trying to get a grip on everything DnD…I am torn between sounding like the rude jerk/jock (or a cynical character from TV’s Community) and laughing, because I get why people make fun of this stuff. It’s so complex! It’s a lot to process, coming up with a character, crafting all facets and then integrating that persona into your own actions in a game that integrates a number of other people. It’s like those games kids would play on the playground, denying another person some right because you have “infinity” or “rubber” power.

I would agree with you. Why would these other people include you in their game if your character is maddening and gets all the goods? Either they are diehard friends with blind eyes to accomplishment or just blind. What fun is in constantly being hated and a companion? I did not enjoy catching buses with the most annoying guy I can remember; if I could have, I would have sent him to another world. Zoop, zoop, and all that magical gibberish. πŸ™‚

But, if you can be inspired to turn what you make for this game into something even more enjoyable, good work. I love it when that happens. One brainstorm inspires another, like connecting lightning bolts.

Just to let the lil geek in me out, I’m the sort that would never likely create or choose to play an evil or chaotic character…even if that’s what my creation appeared to be. I might go as far as making a thief, but that’s about it. And, how does an evil/chaotic character use something with “law” in the name?…isn’t that restricted to beings of light/good?…or is that like stolen goods from the forces of light in the hands of evil?

Liked by 1 person

• Brian Balke says:

The reason they put up with me is because for a long time I played lawful good characters and the other players thought of me as them, and couldn’t make the shift to recognize that I was playing a chaotic evil character IN CHARACTER.

As for the “Arrows of Law,” there wasn’t a particular restriction.

Liked by 1 person

• writingbolt says:

I only even known what lawful versus chaotic is because I’ve played an old Nintendo DnD game called Eye of the Beholder; and I haven’t completed that, yet. But, that’s like a watered down DnD game with hardly any of the complexity.

So, wait, you were playing chaotic evil though you told them you were lawful or you changed from lawful characters to chaotic, and they couldn’t understand why but accepted you for past performance?

I just figured anything with “law” in it, unless stated as, maybe, “laws of chaos,” would be for good/light/lawful only. I may be wrong, but I thought only certain types could carry certain items….or is that just weapon types based upon weight? Like a Thief can’t carry a battle axe. And, a Warrior can’t use lockpicks.

Liked by 2 people

• Brian Balke says:

I am beginning to understand why this is confusing. I created perhaps forty characters during my DnD game playing. Most of them were lawful, and the most powerful were lawful good. My chaotic evil elf, Fingolin, was the only chaotic evil character that I ever played.

Liked by 1 person

• writingbolt says:

I have created about 40 or more characters for various pick-a-path books I am writing (or, rather, some I anticipate writing and some written).

Perhaps you could be the dungeon master who explains the differences for me. Lawful versus Lawful Good? One is just a cop and the other is a self-righteous gilded snob or angel?

Fingolin?…eheh Ehem. Nevermind. Eehe.

Ah, that makes more sense, now. Thanks.

• Brian Balke says:

As I understood it, a lawful character abides by social convention. A chaotic character adapts to the situation. Good people serve life; evil people (notice that it’s “live” spelled backwards) look at life as something to be consumed for their own advantage.

Liked by 1 person

• writingbolt says:

OOk…social convention? I take it that is not where DnD geeks go in costume to get freebies and meet more and bigger DnD geeks. So, LAWFUL equals “part of the system, no matter what the system dictates” or “when in Rome.” While CHAOTIC means innovative/Aquarian. Chaotic does not mean the person says “Screw you, rules! I am burning this MF down because I feel like it!” That must be where the Evil category fits into the picture.

Yes, I saw a horrible independent film once that featured the word LIVE backwards on a window, and some character pointed out that detail.

So, good equals self-sacrificing and/or feeding Mother Nature…evil drains nature for selfish desires.

Still sounds a bit complex and capable of being skewed/misunderstood.

• Brian Balke says:

I have to agree with the last point – just as in real life. I chose the definitions I did because I enjoyed trying to express the philosophy with the characters I played. I will note that my friends and I were influenced by the works of Michael Moorcock, and had a pretty good agreement.

2. writingbolt says:

So, now your avenging or corrupted angel version of Snow-White (or the latest CW take on Nancy Drew with black hair) is turned into a sort of X-Men extra played by Tess Thompson (cuz this gal sorta resembles her Valkyrie from Thor: Ragnarok). I’m just gonna imagine this gal strutting to that funky theme music from the movie.